Here are some simple instructions to get the Autodesk License Manager for Maya 2011 network version installed on OSX. It has a couple of nice tips versus what's in the documentation.
1. Buy Maya 2011 from Motion Media. :)
2. Provide your machine name and MAC address to either your Motion Media sales rep or directly to Autodesk, in order to obtain a network license file. Tip: End-users have access to get this directly online, 24/7.
3. Download the server tools (Autodesk License Manager) and run the install:
4. Drop the license file into the /var/flexlm folder.
In the Finder, Go to folder...
The filename should be called: adsk_server.lic
(or whatever you titled it when you got your license file from Autodesk)
5. Open a terminal (Applications > Terminal) and run the following command:
6. To start the server:
sudo ./lmgrd -c /var/flexlm/adsk_server.lic
7. To check the license server:
./lmutil lmstat -a -c /var/flexlm/adsk_server.lic